logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

skyman
#1 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Groups: Registered

Reading/researching medications tied to gambling - both that help in recovery and those that may actually contribute to the behavior. I am currently taking Mirapex (brand name medication in US) for depression and am finding information in studies that it may actually cause or amplify gambling problems. On the flip side, today I saw information that links Celexa (another antidepressant) as a possible therapy for the disease. Does anyone have any additional information or experience to share along these lines? Any input is greatly appreciated.
anonymous
#2 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Hi Cotexmcs

I'm not aware of Miraplex and Celexa, from any of my studies, but have heard that Naltrexone has been used, with some degree of success in clinical trials, in both Alcohol as well as Gambling addictions.

Would be interested in any futher comments you may like to make.
anonymous
#3 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Thanks for your reply. I have personally used Naltrexone without any success. While it did space me out the first few days I was on it and then again with each increase in dose, I didn't see any benefit. I know that there is no "magic bullet" and that much work lies ahead, but coupled with bipolar disorder, I often feel overwhelmed and powerless over this addiction. Last night I felt no emotion at all and right before bed ended up crying wildly for no reason (seemingly) at all. My partner probably feels as if I'd rather not be together because I am truly "not here" - not in the physical sense but rather emotionally. I just don't care. I know that I am dealing with some pretty severe depression. Sorry that I'm babbling but sometimes I'm forunate enough that a little of the pain is able to seep out.
anonymous
#4 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Xanex gets me crazy, transforms my urges from mini schnausers into wild pitbulls.
glorp
#5 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
glorp

Hi Cotexmcs

Mirapex, Pergolide and many of the drugs used for Parkinson's disease have been proven to trigger gambling problems. If you search 'Parkinsons disease Gambling" you will come up with several links and even a current case where someone in Canada is suing because it is not noted as a side effect in the small print.It also lists the meds that are the problem. Many neurologists are aware of the link but the only option is to cease the medication. This doesn't always work as occassionally the PD has caused damage in the frontal lobe which also is the area where gambling or impulsive behaviours lurks.