logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

skyman
#1 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Groups: Registered

I have been playing the pokies for over a year stopped for three months and started again in December won a big jackpot and lost it all and there i am back on the slippery slope. I now know that I am addicted and can never play again. I am well educated have a high profile job and people like me don't have a problems like this,...NOT true. I have lied ,borrowed and and have got myself into serious financial strife. Today I stop I have taken up running and have set myself a goal to run a half marathon hoping this will help. I am hoping that this diary will help and would appreciate any suggestions encouragement
anonymous
#2 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Hi Mayb

Unfortunately.. people like us do have problems like this :)

By that, I mean that gamblers come from all socio-economic groups, all education levels. It doesn't discriminate again anyone.

Sounds like you have a good plan there with aiming for a half marathon, what other steps do you think you could make to allow yourself some time away from the pokies?

Have you contacted the helpline? They will also be able to give you some advice, and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Keep coming back and letting us know how things are going.
skyman
#3 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

thank you so much for your reply you are so right. Do you do this out of the goodness of your heart I have spent alot of time reading the comments and I really appreciate the thoughtful way you respond!
I have contacted the helpline and feel good about that very hard to admit that I have a problem !!!Have been very tempted this afternoon but read your comments and here I am. I am going away tomorrow for the next few days with friends so will have no opportunity to gamble.!
thank you again you are a gem
anonymous
#4 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Hi Mayb

Good to know you've contacted the helpline - they're a good crew there, and I've got a lot of respect for them, as they do a hard job sometimes.

Yes, it is hard to admit having a problem - no one likes to think they have the problem, it's other people who have the problem :) or at least that was my rationale at first :)

Hope you enjoy the weekend :)
skyman
#5 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Hi, I am new to this site but have been following your discussions with great interest. I am also an addictive gambler. This is the first time I have actually added up the years I have been living like this and it comes to seven. In some ways it has been the longest 7 years of my life and in other ways the shortest. The last two years I have been attending counselling from a counsellor trained in additions and also attend a group session with eight other people. This is not GA but a support group which I am finding a god send. Being able to be honest after years of hiding has been great. My story is similar to others only after reaching rock bottom did I reach out for help. (Gambling is a very lonely road). Just wanted others out there to know they are not alone and others have managed to get back their life and move on. There is HOPE!
Jackie
anonymous
#6 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Hi Jackie

Welcome to the site, good to know that you've been able to get support over the last 2 years, and I agree with you that gambling is a very long road.

Hope to hear from you soon
skyman
#7 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Hi there
I am day six pokie free and am feeling good !!Thanks for the support. The thoughts have started today ...but I have just said NO not today and am keeping busy !
skyman
#8 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Hi Mayb

Six days.. woo hoo!!

Well done... keep it up :)
skyman
#9 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
skyman

Morning Glorp

I agree with you, the details don't matter, and, as you said, the only thing to focus on is the decision to stop.

What steps do you think you could put in place to help you out?
poked
#10 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
poked

Glorp

Really liked what you wrote, I often write down things as they flow into my mind. Sometimes the answer is inside you, but it takes a free flowing (internal or ecternal) conversation/examination to uncover it.

Interesting that you said "I felt my will alone was enough" sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

You say " still feel the presense inside me to play". That's the beast inside, wanting to bend you to it's will....

I'm usually here on the forum (at least I try to be) and yeah, I've been here for a while :) Please note, I'm not perfect, and I still have my shortcomings, but if I (or any of the others here) can help, I will ok?

Communication is what we do on this forum, we open ourselves up, to try and help and get help.