logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
kath
#1 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
kath

Groups: Registered

There are real people here with real issues to address and plenty of genuine people here to listen.

So come on let's get back to the real stuff and stop playing games: we've all done enough off that.

If you are a reader who's been scared off of joining in a conversation because of all the chaos.

Don't be. Share. As I said plenty of genuine people here to listen and share your journey with.

Days: 67
Urges: 0
anonymous
#2 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

I am with you Kath anyway we all know the real us from the impostors anyway.

This site is for those that need help I for one am not going to let some person trying to get there kicks scare me off.
sandy
#3 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
sandy

Thanks Kath I can't believe what has happened on the site I will have to re-read everything but please accept that I'm only here to help and be helped by my friends.
sandy
#4 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
sandy

I for one have had a gutsful of being impersonated and letting the site give cheap thrills to those with nothing else to do with their lives.
fandango
#5 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
fandango

I'm hanging in here too, no-one is going to drive me away or disrupt my recovery.

Days 130.
Urges 0.
fandango
#6 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
fandango

Please be mindful people that I am out of town on business all week, so don't fret if you don't see me posting.
I will do my best to check in when and where I can, and I intend to stay safe.
anonymous
#7 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
anonymous

Goodluck Fandango, You will be fine I know you will be safe Take care I for one promise to keep our arms all linked, nearly got scared of but I am back nice and strong god I have had my father in-law visiting I can take anything now.
fandango
#8 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
fandango

That's the spirit Caring Girl, it's all downhill for you now! I will be fine, and although I am going to be all over NZ this week, my arms will indeed be linked with you and everyone else.
kath
#9 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
kath

Hey fandango check in when you can and have a great week.
notsolost
#10 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
notsolost

Hi all. Kath, Sandy, Caring Girl, Fandango - good to see you're still here. I'm worried about Tegraboy. He had a couple of slips last week and I know he was (understandably) frustrated by the chaos here. Does anyone have his e-mail address and can check to see how he's doing?

Thanks for starting this thread, Kath. Arms still linked...
tegraboy
#11 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
tegraboy

Hi all

Notsolost thanks for thinking of me . Yes i did have a couple of slips but i am not going to let that put me off track :)

days 2
urges 0

I am sorry if anybody was worried about me but i just needed a bit of time away from the site as it went a little crazy .
But I'm back now :)
notsolost
#12 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
notsolost

Hi Tegraboy. Thanks for posting. Glad to hear you're ok. :)

And yes, the site is still crazy. I sent a message to the moderator but no response or action yet. Looks like the troll has activated a spamming bot and his ip address needs to be blocked for things to get back to normal.

Fortunately, our arms are still linked and this will not impact our recovery. Would just be nice to chat again. Take care, all.
ostrich
#13 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
ostrich

Hi all. tegraboy, good news, was worried. Everyone else take care. This would have to be the ultimate computer virus!!
kath
#14 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
kath

Good morning all, and good to see everyone back. Tegraboy, we were all worried about you so good on you for checking in.

It's good to see even with a cyclone in our midst that our arms stayed linked.

Days: 68
Urges: 0
survivor
#15 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
survivor

I have been off the site since Thursday last week as I had a heavy workload over the weekend and I have come back today to a confused mess. However, I have decided to ignore all the obvious distraction. Those of us who are living with this demon know the true signs of those who are effected. Ignore the rest as they obviously have too much time too waste.

I am into my second week of abstinence and had a little experience the other night I would love to share. My husband and I went out with some friends and we ended up at a bar. The pokies were dancing and flashing away and "calling to me" BUT I tried to ignore them by talking continuosly. The jackpot was at $950 and had to go off at $1000 I was torn between doing what I would normally do and trying to fight the urge. I held on and ten minutes later the jackpot went off. As I was standing at the bar a couple of ladies came up and I could hear them talking about what they had just lost in those machines chasing that jackpot. I knew that those ladies would have been me. Amazingly I wasn't the one who felt like S###. I was able to enjoy my night knowing I had money in my wallet. For that night anyway I won the battle. I know I still have to win the war but every victory to me is one step closer to beating this demon.

"We cannot change anything until we accept it. Condemnation does not liberate, it oppresses"

For those of you posting insincerely to this site, think about the above quote. For you are condeming and oppressing those who are trying to own up to their demons. Be careful of Karma!
kath
#16 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
kath

Survivor, well done, it's the small victories that for me will help win the war. I've been there having the internal dialogue going with myself saying perhaps I'll just try, but then by not succumbing you did win.

Fantastic:)
sandy
#17 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
sandy

survivor that's so good.Was your husband supportive of your gambling,the bankrupcy etc?
sandy
#18 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
sandy

Hi all I know we were asked about using a password to get on the site and many felt it wasn't appropriate but I'm just wondering after the weekend if it's not something I would like to see now.
I hate people posting using my name and this weekend I didn't know who was who?The hardest part was that it's obviously a regular on the site because the posts they make under other peoples names sound so much like them.I'm still confused did Glorp lose his job or not?
survivor
#19 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
survivor

Hi Sandy,

My husband is a gambler also. This is both a protective and risk factor. On the one hand, I never had to fear my partner finding out as we went down that road together. On the other hand, we were our worst enemies and could talk each other into playing. The bankruptcy was not a result of the gambling, as we only gamble with our personal money and the problem was with our business. However, if we had paid more attention to our business and spent less time "somewhere else" maybe things could have been different.

I don't talk about my husband when I discuss my recovery because although we both share the problem, we are still individual people and handle things in different ways. If I do not fight this in my own way for myself, then I will end up worry about his recovery as well and our children will suffer. You cannot help anyone else without healing yourself first. However my husband has less urges than me and he is doing well. We went out on the weekend with our babies and had a fantastic day out. We had the money to do lots of fun things and watching them smile and giggle was better than any mixed up joy I receive from a machine (this is what I tell myself but only because I am in a safe place at the moment) If I was in the vacinity of a pokie machine right now, the strong urges would be there and I don't know how I would cope.

One small thing I find really helpful is surrounding yourself with people who do not gamble. People you would be ashamed to share your problem with. I find I don't think about it so much because I know I wouldn't do it in front of them so I just put it down to "not tonight" and get on with it. If this is something we do more often than not, it becomes harder to get those moments away which is a protective factor.

Just a thought.

Oh and I have discovered "Sing star" on PS2! so we spend heaps of time singing and being a little bit stupid. Next thing you know three hours have passed and no urges!

Take Care
sandy
#20 Posted : Thursday, 4 June 2009 11:15:00 a.m.(UTC)
sandy

Thanks for sharing that survivor.I guess it is like a double edged sword,helpful because you understand each other but hard because you both want to do it.
I think you're exactly right worrying about your own recovery and letting him take care of his.
You are doing really well.