logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

julias86
#1 Posted : Saturday, 2 April 2011 3:13:00 p.m.(UTC)
julias86

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I am desperate for advice or talk with some one who has/is in a similar situation.

Recently since last year she been visiting the pokies alot, but recently over last couple months she has started lying to get money/spending all the money on my dads acc.

I think the catalyst may have been combination of her mother passing away in June 2009 from cancer then shortly after finding out her self she had breast cancer which was removed/chemo last year. Since then it has slowly progresed.

As my mother is a strong stuborn women an my father is quiet an gentle nature he finds it hard to bring this up with her an has come to me which I am the eldest an have 2 other sisters.

If anyone has any advice or thoughts I would be immensely greatful.

Cheers
J,
alice
#2 Posted : Wednesday, 6 April 2011 10:37:00 a.m.(UTC)
alice

Has anyone confronted her with it yet? She should be confronted lovingly, and you should see if you can find a support group for yourself nearby. (I unfortunately don't have one I can go to.) Maybe it's something she'll stop doing if she's confronted with the reality of it. I have to say, this didn't work for me with my husband, but I was advised by an expert that it was the first step.
anne
#3 Posted : Monday, 19 September 2011 7:21:00 p.m.(UTC)
anne

Hi Julia, I really do sympathise with you regarding your mothers gambling (i am assuming she is still at it as your message was a while ago) my mother has gambled for years, all her money and done a reverse mortgage on her house and gambled that away as well, she is 83 and she could have been quite comfortable if she hadnt gambled. She spends the majority of her super each fortnight at the pokies and then asks for money from me. It has been a something that has defined my life as she is not the nicest of people it sems to me gambling does that to people they are not interested in anything accept getting the money to gamble. How do you put your foot down and say no more money when its your mother. I hope your mother has stopped as it sure does effect everyones life in a family. I hope things are better for you because its no fun having a gambler in the family!!!