logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

idiotgambler
#1 Posted : Thursday, 1 March 2018 10:32:41 p.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

Groups: Registered

Ive always wanted to quit gambling and am now serious on getting on with it for real..
Im possibly the most prolific gambler in my circle of friends and have been living of borrowing from friends etc. I have current debts of approx 30k.
Now i dont gamble everyday nor every week but it seems to strike me when i think about having a good night out with money to blow (this of course by winning) over the weekends, what to buy my partner (gifts) and to buy for my son.. Last night i had another of what i call it "episodes" after i got paid from my new job.. what started out to be just $200 became $800, thats over half my fortnight pay "gone" in an hour or two.
Ive been gambling for over 20 years and it really sucks.. i think i have lost more than 200k all up over these years.
Im lucky as i dont pay rent at home and always have food on the table. So essentially i could be saving up all this money to look forward in buying a house for me and my partner. I know i need to stop. I previously stopped gambling for approx 8 months (cold turkey) and somehow relapse and have been gambling every now and then over the last year or so.

IT really does suck as its controlling my life (my time could be spent better exercising etc) but i really cant help it.
Read some of the posts today here, and yes i agree its a form of escapism, where i would love just sitting there waiting for the jackpot and hoping to win some extra money.
I guess my problem is as i mention is im also a giver, which i like to spoil my partner and son as often as i can.

So here it is.. my official first day of stopping. Will keep posting as other people have daily to help me overcome this DEMON!!
First goal is two weeks!
idiotgambler
#2 Posted : Friday, 2 March 2018 8:07:29 p.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

Day 2.

Had the urge last night to go for a little bit.. maybe drop $100 to $200 to try my luck.
Glad i stayed away.. more money for the weekend :D..
i often resort to gambling whenever i feel the need to have some extra money and set myself a winning limit.. last week i won 1000 and i could have been comfortable..for the next two weeks.. i went back the following day and gambled it all away + all the rest of what i had.. an extra 500 down the drain..
13 days to go.. counting down..
gambling_helpline
#3 Posted : Friday, 2 March 2018 9:49:03 p.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thank you for sharing. Sounds like you have reached a stage where you realise the cost of your gambling, how it is impacting upon your life and your goals and are ready to address your gambling. You have set yourself a first goal of stopping for two weeks and are going to post daily to help with this. Well done. You mention that you have stopped before. Just wondering what helped you to stay gamblefree during those eight months? And remember that you can also call the Gambling Helpline on 0800 654 655 anytime or text on 8006; we're available 24/7.
 1 user thanked gambling_helpline for this useful post.
idiotgambler on 7/03/2018(UTC)
idiotgambler
#4 Posted : Wednesday, 7 March 2018 1:16:32 a.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

Hi there,

what made me stop the first time around was my partner found out i was gambling all my money away and i basically swore to change my ways. She didnt threaten to leave or anything but was rather disappointed. I told myself that i didnt want to disappoint anyone anymore and this gambling DEMON has always done exactly that. Disappointment as in, unable to take my partner and child to have a decent meal on the weekends.. losing most of my money on payday (wed/thurs) and have like $100 for the whole weekend (gas/food/activities/smokes).. was difficult..

Today is day 7 i assume? i had a strong urge two days ago driving past that demonic pokies place... ( note i drive pass it every single day) with the thoughts of.. why not chuck in $100 to see how i go.. hopefully winning a couple of hundred extra.. as im quite broke this weekend..NOPE i survived it.. the real test will be next payday which is in a weeks time.. my relapse always gets me when i think i have enough money to gamble at least some of it away...

idiotgambler
#5 Posted : Thursday, 8 March 2018 4:03:55 a.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

Day 8

Small urge today although i have been thinking should i risk $100 or $200 to try win some back..
Told myself NO WAY MAN.. how MUCH longer R U GONNA THINK LIKE THAT..

Still broke however.. few debts coming up for payment in a weeks time, hopefully i get them all sorted first..
idiotgambler
#6 Posted : Thursday, 8 March 2018 9:26:15 p.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

Relapse last night.. went for a beer with a friend to avoid going to the pokies..
then on my way home after i dropped him, i went.. and down goes $400..
in debt again..
my god.. this DEMON is killing me..

Starting all over again.. Day 1..
help.
gambling_helpline
#7 Posted : Thursday, 8 March 2018 11:40:23 p.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

Hi thank you for your post. It sounds like this is something that caught you off guard and is really impacting your life. If you would like support you are welcome to contact us on the Gambling Helpline 0800 654 655 or contact Problem Gambling Foundation 0800 6642 62 for face to face counselling support if this is something you would consider. Also there is the option of self exclusions. We are here to stand with you and support you.

Warm regards
The Gambling Helpline Team
idiotgambler
#8 Posted : Monday, 19 March 2018 10:56:46 p.m.(UTC)
idiotgambler

just an update..
so havent gambled at all since i last posted (10 days) ago only because i had to pay some debts off straight from my last pay (last week) and am left with not much money at all.

I havent had much thoughts of gambling apart from a slight thought two nights ago (im left with $200) and thought maybe i could try win some extras for this upcoming week..
still broke AF.. hopefully i can keep this going..
gambling_helpline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, 21 March 2018 6:25:40 a.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

well done on the 10 days! Wonder if you have a list of things you can do when those thoughts trigger you. You are welcome to call 0800 654 655 to talk through your thoughts. Keep up good work.