logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Started2Young
#1 Posted : Monday, 2 July 2018 4:30:41 a.m.(UTC)
Started2Young

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I ask myself often how normal the way I started was.

I was only a young child (under 10) when I first started gambling. My first exposure was probably those card machines (The one's that have 5 open-y bits and you tried to match 3 for a cash prize). They were in our sports club and I couldn't get enough of them. I was also helping my dad do his TAB betting. I would love calling up and placing his bets for him through TAB betting line... The automated service, not speaking to anyone. I loved maths and enjoyed working out how much Dad could win from his bets.

Once I was around 12-13 years old, I started going to our local pub with Dad and we spent hours playing pokies together. I know I was hooked immediately and wanted to go every time dad went, which was every day he could find money too. I didn't realise that my Dad might have had a gambling problem (and a drinking problem for that matter)By this age I would work on the local berry farms in the school holidays, so I knew Dad would take me to the pub with him if he knew I had money to gamble with. So we did.

I wish I had never been exposed to these terrible things, because no matter how I manage myself I always feel drawn to them and I am sure being exposed to these things so young must have contributed an incredible amount towards my problem.
 1 user thanked Started2Young for this useful post.
Wazzy2018 on 4/07/2018(UTC)
gambling_helpline
#2 Posted : Tuesday, 3 July 2018 10:19:23 a.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Started2Young,

Thanks for starting the conversation about how the gambling habit began for you. It certainly sounds like you were too young to be exposed to such addictive habits, and I am sorry that happened to you. Sharing about your experience helps everyone to gain more insight into their own struggles.
Please get in touch with the gambling helpline if you feel the need, we are here to support you.
PH: 0800 654 655

Regards,
The Gambling Helpline
Wazzy2018
#3 Posted : Wednesday, 4 July 2018 8:18:29 p.m.(UTC)
Wazzy2018

I can so relate to the Started to Young, I had a very similar experience. It just seemed to build year on year, decade on decade. The thing that I really get confused/frustrated about, is that even after all these years, I have still been going back. The results and outcome haven't changed since I was young betting with my Dad, similar to you, lose, stress, wasted time, wasted energy. I dont know why I have kept going back, but I dont wont to go back anymore.
MJH
gambling_helpline
#4 Posted : Friday, 6 July 2018 8:42:42 p.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Wazzy2018

It can seem difficult to change the patterns that have built up over many years. Sounds as though you feel you are ready to make some changes. If you would like to talk and would like support, please phone the Gambling Helpline on 0800 654 655; there's someone available 24/7

Kind regards
Gambling Helpline Team
Ahmed Asghar
#5 Posted : Tuesday, 2 October 2018 10:37:32 a.m.(UTC)
Ahmed Asghar

i was in las Vegas with my freind in 2001 when i gamble first time