logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Coco
#1 Posted : Sunday, 4 November 2018 12:51:07 p.m.(UTC)
Coco

Groups: Registered

Hi
This is my first time on here. I have had a gambling problem for a long time now and even though I know I shouldn’t do it and I can’t afford it I still end up playing the machines and now my addition has gotten so bad I don’t even pull out my winnings and leave, I end up putting it all back in again. I am now at the point where I lie a lot to justify my gambling habit and have emptied our entire savings from our accounts. I don’t understand how I could let it get so out of control and I know that it would break my partners heart if he knew because he hates gambling. I have tried to stop and have been to a councillor about it before and her advice was to come clean to my family, which I did. I seem to relapse after a certain amount of time and end up back at square one. I would really appreciate some advice on really kicking this horrible addition which is ruining my life and the life of others who I care about around me who have to put up with my mood swings because I’ve lost our money for the week. I feel ashamed because I once was a very good at budgeting and very onto it and now we are In dealt to the point where thinking about it makes me feel physically sick. I don’t feel like counseling face to face helped me because all I felt was embarrassment for even being there and living in a small town I was scared someone would see me. I am open to any good advice because I want to stop.
gambling_helpline
#2 Posted : Sunday, 4 November 2018 8:12:31 p.m.(UTC)
gambling_helpline

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Coco
Thank you for posting on the Gambling Forum. It takes a lot of courage to acknowledge that you may need some support. A good first step. It sounds as though you have been through a lot with your gambling. I would encourage you take one more step and contact the Gambling Helpline on 0800 654 655 to talk this thorough. We are available 24/7.

Regards
The Gambling Helpline Team
jlr
#3 Posted : Saturday, 15 December 2018 9:56:31 p.m.(UTC)
jlr

Groups: Registered

Hi Coco

I have struggled with pokies for most my life, having been to many counselling sessions and even rehab have all been helpful but i just needed to limit access i have to cash as well as getting cash advance out from credit cards etc.

I have someone else that manages my bank account so i don't have access to it at all, then i have an automatic payment set up where i get $50 a week just for small expenses.
Other than that I have a GEM Visa credit card which most of my spending goes on (this is the only credit card i can find where they will disable cash advance and once it's disabled i can't be enable again.

This has worked a treat for me as i have very limited cash but still have a credit card for all my spending, I also install Gamban app on my mobile and computer so cannot gamble online. It's a great app and once its installed you can't just uninstall the app.

This as helped me as gambling was absolutely destroying my life.